The NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is a free, 12-week course for family members of individuals with severe mental illnesses.
- The course is taught by trained family members
- All instruction and course materials are free to class participants
- Over 115,000 family members have graduated from this national program
In addition, this class has been translated into Spanish.
For more information on Family-to-Family classes in your area, click here.
Course Topics Include:
- Current information about schizophrenia, major depression, bipolar disorder (manic depression), panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, borderline personality disorder, and co-occurring brain disorders and addictive disorders
- Up-to-date information about medications, side effects, and strategies for medication adherence
- Current research related to the biology of brain disorders and the evidence-based, most effective treatments to promote recovery
- Gaining empathy by understanding the subjective, lived experience of a person with mental illness
- Learning in special workshops for problem solving, listening, and communication techniques
- Acquiring strategies for handling crises and relapse
- Focusing on care for the caregiver: coping with worry, stress, and emotional overload
- Guidance on locating appropriate supports and services within the community
- Information on advocacy initiatives designed to improve and expand services
- "Taking the class with my husband was very important--we have learned so much together and now we're making plans to handle our issues - 2 daughters with mental illness. We can strengthen and support each other!"
- "Thank you so much! This has been a wonderful resource. It has helped me find other resources at critical times when they were needed. The understanding that I have gained has improved my ability to help my sister. I can hope for her to rebuild a life for herself. I now have many good tools and facts to support her in reinventing her life."
- "The class was a tremendous help in better understanding not just the mental illness, but also what our child is going through."
- "I am very impressed by the level of expertise and the level of commitment to helping us. I have learned so much and in that learning I feel much more connected to my bipolar daughter. I realize that her case is not hopeless and hopefully things will keep on improving!"
- "What I have learned in 12 weeks far exceeds what I have learned in the past 20 years dealing one-on-one. I am sorry it took so long to find."
Check out the research that is happening with Family-to-Family: Pilot study results
For class times and locations, call NAMI Utah (801) 323-9900 or toll free 1-877-230-6264.